We want to hear your voices and ideas! On Oct 31, hundreds of leading US community activists, funders, and international organization (NGO) directors will meet at Microsoft headquarters in Seattle, USA for an international conference. Part of that conference will focus on understanding what impact the revolution in Egypt is having on education and what it means for NGO’s and funders who are working in Egypt. We plan to bring a live video conference from Egypt to the conference and share opinions directly from people in Egypt who are living the experience and shaping it. We have three questions in particular we want your responses to, and will share your views with conference participants in the video conference to help shape how they act and fund in the future. Please feel free to respond in English or Arabic, in writing or in a short (60 seconds or less) video and send your responses to Kelly at email@example.com. Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions!
For students and young people
1) How has this movement changed you as an educator? How has it changed you as a student?
2) How, if at all, has your schooling influenced your participation in civil society (demonstrations, political and social activism, etc)? Where have you/do you learn the skills needed to participate in the ongoing revolution (including communication, technical, organizational, etc)?
3) If you had unlimited power and resources to reform the Egyptian education system, what would be the most pressing and immediate reforms to be made so that students emerge better prepared to participate in Egyptian and global society, economy, and political life?
For individuals working in the NGO sector:
1) How, if at all, is your organization influenced by the ongoing revolution? Is it easier or more difficult to operate? If yes, why?
2) How, if at all, has your organization’s mission changed or remained the same in light of the revolution?
3) In your opinion, what are the most pressing issues that Egyptian and international NGOs need to address in Egypt? Is there space or a need for international NGOs in revolutionary Egypt?
Thank you very much for your time and energy. We are all three deeply inspired and moved by the Egyptian people’s efforts toward greater freedom and a vibrant and diverse civil society. We’d love to hear and share your thoughts at the upcoming international conference. This is a great opportunity for you to communicate with a diverse group of change makers. Please send your written or video responses on or before October 15th (earlier is better! We need time to sort through and prepare responses for presentation) to Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Shokran!
Note: We are working to make this conference panel available via Webinar so that you may participate virtually. Should we, insha’Allah, make that happen, we will send out an invitation and instructions for joining the conference via live Webinar.
Best wishes to you!
Kelly, Rabab, and Greg
Tag Archives: civil society